[Talk-us] Rural US: Correcting Original TIGER Imported Ways

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sun Feb 18 22:07:51 UTC 2018

> I've done a fair amount of TIGER touch-up in Michigan, but there's still a
> lot of work left to be done, and this looks like a great way to get a
> handle on it. One issue: Due to the automated name expansion that was done
> on untouched TIGER ways a few years ago (which I think only affected roads
> in the eastern US?) a lot of these ways have bot-mode as their most recent
> user, rather than DaveHansenTiger. (1)
>
> The catch is that sometimes the name expansion changed the name after a
> human mapper had edited the way, so it wouldn't always be valid right to
> include ways where bot-mode is the most recent editor. (2) I think if
> bot-mode is the most recent editor and the way has only two versions, then
> it should be in effect an untouched TIGER way, but I'm not sure how to get
> Overpass-turbo to pull that info out.
>
> Any suggestions?

Running the overpass query looking for user DaveHansenTiger produced around
30mb of data. That's more than enough to keep everyone busy for a while.
Overpass-turbo query looking for user bot-mode produced over 100mb of data.
It would need to be refined some. As you suggest, looking only at version 2
might help but I'm not sure you can do that in overpass.

There is another way to tackle the problem, one that I've used as well.
Work on one county at a time. With 83 counties in Michigan the size of each
county should be reasonable for one or two people to tackle. You could
either break the county into small chucks using a Tasking Manager or just
work on one county by your self. JOSM search capabilities mirror overpass
so you can search for user and version.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle