[Talk-us] Leonia, NJ doesn't want you to navigate through

Rihards richlv at nakts.net
Mon Jan 8 19:56:37 UTC 2018

On 2018.01.08. 21:42, Andrew Matheny wrote:
>>are there matching street signs ?
>
> I'm not sure. But if we know a street has legally-restricted access, I
> think our tagging should match that access regardless of whether there's
> a sign or not.

yeah, my question was exactly about this - how is this legally codified ?
if they intend to rely on stopping random people and asking "WHAT
BUSINESS YOU HAVE HERE", it will stop soon.

> Example: Service roads inside an apartment complex (usually tagged
> "access=private") are an example of tagging access without a sign.

these are public streets, though

> If anything, I'm betting they'll have signs posted on the unaffected
> major streets at city limits, which is where you'll often see signs
> about cell phone usage while driving or red light cameras.

sorry, did you mean "affected" ?

>>of course, a better approach would be adding traffic calming features or
> making roads one-way so that cut-through would not be beneficial much.
>
> Respectfully, I don't think mapping features that don't actually exist
> is a good practice in the long-run.

should have been more specific. i believe the city should have
rearranged the traffic flow that would still be useful to the locals,
but make it less attractive for shortcuts, not that we should introduce
fake data :)

 Rihards