[Talk-us] TIGER 2017 Pennsylvania county line import?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jan 24 00:31:33 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 01/24/2018 12:46 AM, Albert Pundt wrote:
> I noticed many of the county lines in Pennsylvania are off by quite a
> bit. I took the county lines from TIGER 2017 and imported them into
> JOSM, and am ready to begin switching out the existing county lines

Do you mean you'll keep the relations intact and just replace the member
ways, or do you intend to delete the relations wholesale and introduce
new ones?

Where county boundaries are shared "upwards" by the state boundary, or
"downwards" by a city boundary, will you ensure that these links are
kept? County boundaries often don't exist in a vacuum and hence when the
county bondary changes, the city/state boundaries need to change too,
else you'll end up with cities straddling a county border or counties
straddling a state border...

Depending on what exactly you're planning to do, the JOSM "utilsplugin2"
function "replace geometry" might be useful; it would try to keep the
existing objects in OSM and just refine their geometry, rather than
deleting and re-creating stuff.

Bye
Frederik