[Talk-us] Rice County, Minnesota Import

Caleb Langeslag caleb at techsanity.us
Sat Mar 10 20:18:44 UTC 2018

I know this may be meant more for imports-us, but I was advised to post
to talk-us instead:

A while ago I've noticed that my local county had published a bit of
their GIS data online in some "open geospatial commons" repository (
gisdata.mn.gov ), but couldn't find any clear license terms on it's
usage. However I've found a few points, and I'll use the Parcel Points
as an example:
https://gisdata.mn.gov/dataset/us-mn-co-rice-plan-parcel-points

If you go to the "Full Metadata Record" file, it'll bring you to:
ftp://ftp.gisdata.mn.gov/pub/gdrs/data/pub/us_mn_co_rice/plan_parcel_points/metadata/metadata.html

Under Section 1, there's the fields of "Access Constraints" and "Use
Constraints", which are set as "none".

If you pick through the website's metadata guidelines (from
http://www.mngeo.state.mn.us/committee/standards/mgmg/metadata.htm go to
"Identification Information"), there's the following page that describes
those fields:
http://www.mngeo.state.mn.us/committee/standards/mgmg/idinfo.htm

     Access Constraints: Restrictions and legal prerequisites for
accessing the data set. These include any access constraints applied to
assure the protection of privacy or intellectual property, and any
special restriction or limitation on obtaining the data set.

     Use Constraints: Restrictions and legal prerequisites for using the
data set after access is granted (ex. transferring to others).

As aforementioned, the metadata of specific dataset that I'm using as an
example, is set as "none". Meaning there are no restrictions on it's
access or usage, especially giving an example such as redistribution.

Furthermore, as the service requires of anyone publishing any data on
this resource, it says: "It is assumed that all resources (data,
services, apps and maps) accessed directly from the Commons will be
freely available and public. If resources require a license or payment,
a publisher may only publish a metadata record describing the resource
that points to another location to acquire the resources." (
https://gisdata.mn.gov/content/?q=help/publisher_expectations ). And
with my example that I provided, all the assets are directly hosted on
this service, not externally.

Is this sufficient to be able to do an import of the provided example,
and possibly any other data on this service that matches the same
aforementioned criteria?