[Talk-us] Prospect Mountain Interchange Reconfiguration, Binghamton NY

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Sat May 19 03:22:51 UTC 2018

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 7:08 PM, Evin Fairchild <evindfair at gmail.com> wrote:

> You're welcome. I don't think that was the I-81/I-86 interchange that
> NYSDOT was referring to, but yeah, I figured it ought to be fixed. I'm
> pretty sure NYSDOT is referring to the T-interchange a few miles NW of the
> one I just edited. Since I live on the other side of the country, fixing
> that one is going to be beyond my knowledge or ability to survey.

Oh, yeah, the Chenango River crossing looks to be an even worse mess. As of
the imagery in NYS Orthos Online, construction was obviously in progress -
and neither the 'construction' nor the 'motorway' in OSM lines up with what
I see in the orthoimagery.

I see that the DOT has the construction documents available at
https://www.dot.ny.gov/regional-offices/region9/projects/prospect-mountain-route-17
.  It's a complex project. The good news is that there are georeferenced
plan views of everything.

I can certainly see on OSM that the ways do NOT connect through there, and
that there's a lot of overdrawing, including things like untagged ways. NYS
Orthos Online clearly shows a construction zone, and I'm virtually certain
that the current traffic routing is different from what I see in the
orthoimagery.

I think that taking this on as an ongoing project will be too much for me,
and certainly untangling the mess that I see at the Chenango is too much
for me right now - life is simply getting in the way of mapping. I think
I'm going to have to bow out and let someone else give this a try. I have
relatively little experience with freeway mapping; my chief mapping
interest is outdoor recreation.

For whoever is able to take this on - I definitely recommend  using NYS
Orthos Online for tracing. It's at least new enough to show construction in
progress on the new bridges and the interchanges on I-86. Bing, Digital
Globe, ESRI, and Mapbox are all hopelessly out of date.