[Talk-us] California is too big ;)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Nov 6 12:51:52 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 06.11.2018 11:53, Vivek Bansal wrote:
> 2.  I would certainly love smaller more regularly updated extracts!  I'm
> not sure how much my team would pay for it though.

The downloads are free of charge. Maybe I should check with the
Interline folks, I don't want to step on their toes with anything.

> 3.  I think the most common analysis patterns rely on regions greater
> than each county, but smaller than just NorCal and SoCal.  The 6
> californias here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Californias
> is pretty close to what I would suggest (except i'd have the Bay Area 9
> county region to be one group, perhaps the 7th California?).  I don't
> know of any spatial files with this breakdown.

Creating the split bounds is probably the least difficult part of the
puzzle. Reason I'm asking the locals is that I want to create a split
that is as useful as possible so thank you for the pointer - is the "six
Californias" idea well-known enough that someone in, say, Napa County
would immediately know to look for themselves in "North California" and
not in "Jefferson" or "Central California"?

While I don't *like* overlapping areas, it would be *possible* to have
them if it matches what people expect to find. I could do
SoCal+NorCal+Bay Area, or the 6 Californias plus Bay Area, or whatever.

Bye
Frederik