[Talk-us] California is too big ;)

Vivek Bansal 3vivekb at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 10:53:00 UTC 2018

Hi Frederik,

Yes California is too big!  We also like the attention!

1.  Since the demise of metrozen extracts, I don't know of a good site
outside of Geofabrik to get regulary updated OSM extracts of California.
There is https://www.interline.io/osm/extracts/ but it is a similar
business model to the Geofabrik Downloads.

2.  I would certainly love smaller more regularly updated extracts!  I'm
not sure how much my team would pay for it though.  We would use them to
power our Opentripplanner instance.  We would want the whole San Francisco
Bay Area in one extract.

3.  I think the most common analysis patterns rely on regions greater than
each county, but smaller than just NorCal and SoCal.  The 6 californias
here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Californias
is pretty close to what I would suggest (except i'd have the Bay Area 9
county region to be one group, perhaps the 7th California?).  I don't know
of any spatial files with this breakdown.

Sincerely,
Vivek