[Talk-us] Naming numbered roads as "State Route X", "Interstate X", etc.

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Sep 1 21:28:11 UTC 2018

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 12:01 PM Peter Dobratz <peter at dobratz.us> wrote:

To cite a specific example of how we might map something, consider the town
> of Waldport, Oregon.
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/44.42718/-124.06667
>
> As you can see, there is a US Route 101 running north-south through town.
> Roads north of Northwest Hemlock Street include Northwest as part of their
> names and roads south of Northwest Hemlock Street include Southwest as part
> of their name.  US Route 101 is currently mapped in OSM with
> "name=Northwest Highway 101" for the portions north of Northwest Hemlock
> Street and "name="Southwest Highway 101" for the portions south of
> Northwest Hemlock Street.  If we drop the name tag from this road in OSM,
> then we lose the Northwest and Southwest directional prefix.  I think we
> should retain the name tags on roads like this.

I don't.  While it is uncommon, there's other ways of handling this.  The
way should still be noname=yes in this case.

> Here is an examples of a POI along this route:
>
> https://www.grand-central-pizza.com/
> Grand Central Pizza
> 245 SW Hwy 101
> Waldport, OR 97394
>
> USPS standard format of the address:
> 245 SW HIGHWAY 101
> WALDPORT, OR 97394-3036
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/463377211
> addr:housenumber=245
> addr:street=Southwest Highway 101
> addr:city=Waldport
> addr:state=OR
> addr:postcode=97394

And this is how you would handle addresses along such a highway.  This also
comes up (uncommon but still happens) where the USPS has decided to
consider addresses with a different name than the street that frontages
it.  In an extreme example, there's a road in my region that has the name
"Officer Larry W. Cantrell and Mister Charles L. Cantrell Memorial
Highway".  The addresses along it are all "New Sapulpa Road", the road's
old name, presumably due to brevity.