[Talk-us] USPS Post Boxes

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Wed Sep 26 00:17:46 UTC 2018

On 9/25/2018 10:37 AM, Martijn van Exel wrote:

> But there's also an opportunity to have the community have another
> look at the area surrounding the nodes. It's only ~4600 items:
> http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Cg0 .

By far the majority of post_boxes in the USA have no operator tag: 6871
by my count. These are highly likely to be the USPS blue boxes but of
course it's better not to assume that. They'd be a good candidate for a
community review.

For those tagged with an operator, most are one of the many variations
on the US Postal Service name:
3609 * usps
199 *us postal service
125 * u.s. postal service
12 * us post
11 * united states postal service (used to be popular before Leif's mass
edit)
4 * us mail (some older post boxes still say this on the side)
1 * united states postal office
1 * usps express mail
1 * usps.com

No doubt I've missed a few variations. There are also many (hard to
count) where the name of the local post office branch is used for the
operator.

Then we have the familiar shipping companies:
202 * ups
47 * united parcel service
4 * ups store
1  * the ups store
206 * fedex
9 * federal express
1 * fedex office
3 * dhl

Most of the rest are typos or questionable data. One instance of "multi"
and one of "UPS; DHL; FedEx"... I've never seen a postal box with
multiple operators in real life; my guess would be it's a few boxes next
to each other.