[Talk-us] TIGER place confusion

Josh Lee jleedev at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 13:05:16 UTC 2018

Use border_type=* for this. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:border_type

Usage is spotty at best but it looks fairly consistent to me. For
example in Pennsylvania admin_level=8 can have a border_type of city,
township, borough, municipality(?), or town (there's just one "town").
In New York admin_level=7 can have a border_type of town or city, but
I'm only seeing this on two cities and about a third of the towns.

Since a combo admin+place has both a boundary and a label node, is
there a rule of thumb for what tags go where? Does place=whatever go
on both? What about wikidata?

(?) border_type=municipality definitely came from TIGER, as it matches
Bethel Park, Monroeville, and Murrysville having an LSAD of
municipality. Pennsylvania's classification of home rule
municipalities is a bit fuzzy, since it's *also* still considered to
be a township or borough. I'll leave that one alone for now.