[Talk-us] NC sidewalk data import

jumbanho at gmail.com jumbanho at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 14:36:27 UTC 2019

I can only speak for the Triangle area, but many sidewalks are mapped
as separate ways in this area.  It is probably due to the very
idiosyncratic spending on sidewalks that can begin and end in the
middle of blocks and frequently do not have connections to the road at
one end or the other.  Trying to split ways and add information on
connections would lead to very fragmented way.

Melanie, I know that there was a partial sidewalk import in
Carrboro/Chapel Hill years ago and there is currently a mapping project
to add sidewalks in the city of Durham which is about halfway complete
(see https://tasks.openstreetmap.us/project/92).  I cannot speak of
other cities' data, but the City of Durham data has only the sidewalk
ways themselves and have no connections to streets or other
infrastructure such as greenways or railways, so a mass import without
careful integration with existing data would not work.  It is a fairly
labor intensive process.  It would be definitely worth your while to
work on that as you move forward with a broader import project.

I think the most currently active NC community is on Slack and you
might get more detailed conversations there.  Here is the nc slack
link: https://osmus.slack.com/messages/CAM9RBREE and here is the
triangle link: https://osmus.slack.com/messages/CDW5X3RRD

James