[Talk-us] Gated communities

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Mar 21 06:59:20 UTC 2019

Mar 20, 2019, 11:38 PM by frederik at remote.org:

> Hi,
>
> DWG have been contacted by a resident of a gated community in Florida.
> They were unhappy about our routing which apparently leads people
> through an unmanned "residents only" gate where they won't get in,
> instead of to the manned main gate.
>
> I wonder how to deal with this, firstly from a "what is correct on the
> ground" perspective, but then also from a "what is useful routing-wise"
> perspective.
>
> Should all roads inside the gated community be access=private?
>
> What tags should be applied to (a) the main gate where visitors and
> delivery services are expected to report, and (b) resident-only gates?
>
> Bye
> Frederik

It depends on gated community.

For start, "residents only" gate is for me clearly access=private.

"manned main gate" - is access strongly restricted?
If nearly everybody, including vehicles, is let in I would tag it access=yes.
It would also mean that access=destination would be better than access=private
for inner ways of community.

If access is strongly filtered (entrance requires permission from resident or
guard is likely to resuse) then I would tag both gates access=private.
Though it means that these gates are again not distinguishable.

In Poland many gated communities are blocking only cars (to protect
limited parking space) so I tag it as
vehicle=private, bicycle=yes
as both pedestrians and cyclists are let in by guards without restriction.