[Talk-us] Taking a break and a call for help

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Mar 20 23:42:09 UTC 2020

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 6:07 PM Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> 3) Amazon Logistics and a revolving door team of one-edit-and-done spam
> accounts keeps throwing paid contributions into Oklahoma that are of poorly
> aligned, largely fictional and low quality.  I'm stuck cleaning up in a
> neglected part of North America some particularly low quality edits with
> limited resources and little ability to find more.  I hope other
> contributors can help keep abreast and I hope OSM Foundation can help keep
> paid contributors to account.  I don't think it's unreasonable to think
> that paid mapper should be contributing *far* higher quality data than
> your average volunteer first time mapper, and I think OSM needs to have a
> serious conversation about minimum qualifications for paid mapping that I
> simply don't have the time or energy for at this point.  Dealing with this
> (and staying abreast extensive OkTrans highway modernization efforts
> lately) have been a major part of my editing (and while OkTrans is
> unavoidable, Amazon is inexcusable).

More constructively, let me deconstruct what I think needs to happen with
Amazon Logistics generally (and can be constructively generalized to any
other large fleet entities that might consider contributing to OSM):
Strongly consider contributing GPX traces from their fleet exclusively
first, since covering ground with trucks is what they do best.  Let the
volunteers do the lifting on the cartography if they're not going to hire
people who are already familiar and involved to do the actual mapping.