[OSM-Talk-ZA] Updated CD:NGI Aerial Imagery Now Available

Gerhardus Geldenhuis gerhardus.geldenhuis at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 12:39:11 GMT 2012

Thanks for the efforts Grant. When you say errors, what does this mean?
Does it mean tracing using the imagery surrounding erross will be
inaccurate? Can we help with conversion/fixing work? Out of curiosity are
you using a "USB disk network" to move the data. That's a lot of data even
for fast UK networks.

Regards

On 31 December 2012 12:31, Grant Slater <openstreetmap at firefishy.com> wrote:

> Hi OSM ZA,
>
> Updated: http://aerial.openstreetmap.org.za/
>
> Contains new imagery (collect from CD:NGI during November 2012) and
> I've finally filled in most of the missing areas.
>
> Percentage of the imagery captured in the year:
>  - 2012: 17.8%
>  - 2011: 27.6%
>  - 2010: 21.1%
>  - 2009: 28.8%
>  - 2008: 4.7%
>
> The aerial imagery (as supplied) is 3004 GigaBytes and made up of
> 45454 tiled GeoTIFF files.
> Combined they would make an image: 3256402 x 2875186 pixels or 9.3
> Million Megapixel ;-)
>
> The imagery is available in JOSM and Potlatch2 as a background layer
> using the "South Africa: CD:NGI Aerial" preset.
> Please remember to add the "source=ngi-aerial" tag when using the
> imagery. In Potlatch2 this can be done by pressing "B" when the new
> imagery is set as the background.
>
> There are 3 errors I am aware of:
>  - Black missing strip near Victoria West, NC
>  - Black missing square near Villiers, FS
>  - 2 Black thin strips, 1: just east of Mooi River, KZN and 2: just
> west of Greytown, KZN
> The errors will get fixed when I have a chance, but are not currently
> a high priority.
>
> The imagery should also finally be moved to a beefier/faster server
> within the next 24 hours.
>
> Regards
>  Grant

Gerhardus Geldenhuis