[Openstreetmap] node map demo

Matt Amos matt at matt-amos.uklinux.net
Thu Dec 9 19:55:12 GMT 2004

On Thursday 09 December 2004 01:35, Jo Walsh wrote:
> The shiny satellite basemap from Landsat is only provided for
> east/central London right now. We could offer a UK-wide Landsat
> service given enough disk space, or collaborate with the nice
> people at UCL who do http://iceds.ge.ucl.ac.uk/ (they don't have
> Landsat yet though, only a low-res colorised SRTM layer which
> doesn't, to be honest, look very good zoomed in close up)

i've got the 7 channel landsat images for SE england (patch 201, row
024) and theyre 773Mb in total. given that there are several of these
for the whole UK it seems difficult, but theyre much smaller when
compressed (205Mb png, 198Mb jpg).

it should be noted that neither of these schemes take advantage of the
closely related nature of the 7 channels, nor of the fractal
structure of most of the image. there must be an image compression
format which does this, but i havent found it yet ;-)

> i am mooting this as a possible replacement for the old consume.net
> nodedb map viewer, and digging around for other potential base
> layers such as the material at http://www.geowiki.co.uk/ and the
> work that is tickign along on the openstreetmap list...

the trouble with images (whether satellite or aerial) is the lack of
visible street names and the (sometimes nasty) coordinate transform
to WGS84, or whatever you use.

cya,

matt