[Openstreetmap] node map demo

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Fri Dec 10 02:04:59 GMT 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 07:55:12PM +0000, Matt Amos wrote:
> the trouble with images (whether satellite or aerial) is the lack of
> visible street names and the (sometimes nasty) coordinate transform
> to WGS84, or whatever you use.

i have a small sample of geocoded addresses as a byproduct of a web
search project. i had entertained ideas of taking the set of points
that shared the same name and trying to make the line 'snap to the
nearest vector' somehow.

postcodes can be very imprecise as a means of geocoding though, and i
am unsure about the advisablility of using any technique that could
make this a derived work from postcodes...

mapserver is great, and it seems to be possible to have a 'query
shape' mode where you can pass parameters attached to the nearest shape
to where you clicked, in a RESTful fashion very susceptible to
wiki-like editing treatment.

for this to really work i suppose the lines generated from the gps
points need to be broken up into road segments. if it was possible to
break segments at clear junctions and also infer that long straight
stretches are a 'group', you could have an option, in an edit screen,
to apply the style/ontology changes to the whole group or just the
segment where you clicked.

road labelling is a bit arbitrary with mapserver, it has mysterious
algorithms, we'll just have to see how it looks...

i am sorry to have been a bit map-inactive, have had wireless
deadlines, but i look forward to spending a bit more time on this...

-jo