[Openstreetmap] Hello, introduction

Frank Mohr f_mohr at yahoo.de
Sun Dec 19 15:29:59 GMT 2004

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Frank Mohr]
> > I started to collect my GPS tracks in August 2003 using a Garmin
> > geko 301 and GPSman. Currently I have about 8MB raw track data (in
> > GPSman ascii format). 4MB are already split down to named/identified
> > road segments.
>
> Sounds cool.  Are gpsbabel able to convert these raw track data files
> to GPX files?

gpsbabel only converts older GPS-manager waypoints.

> Are you aware of the gpx2shp tool to convert from GPX
> format to Shape file format, and the posibility of importing GPX and
> Shape files into GIS systems (for example qgis, PostGIS and GRASS)?

gpsman exports GPX and shape, but in earlier versions GPX support
was broken and shape export of larger tracks ended with a core dump.

gpx2shp looks good. I'll try that.

I tried GRASS and Jump with DCW data and some smaller tracks (exp. as
shape).
GRASS is great but the v.digit editor interface isn't really
"intuitive".
Jump still has some problems with bigger data sets ... importing a 12MB
shape file
needed more than 128MB memory (Jump is written in java and restricts the
memory
usage on startup, I had to set it to at least 512MB to view bigger DCW
layers).

frank