[Openstreetmap] GPS point submission format

Matt Amos matt at matt-amos.uklinux.net
Tue Nov 16 20:12:14 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 12:50, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Matt Amos]
> > for certain chipsets you can pull pseudo range and availability
> > info out of the GPS unit (i have a SiRF-based and it works with
> > SiRF binary protocol, but i hear it works with Garmin's protocol
> > as well).
>
> How can I find out if my GPS support this?  How can I find out if
> it is SiRF-based?

download the data sheet from your supplier, generally poke around
online... i think theres an NMEA message for the firmware version as
well, which would probably say SiRF somewhere in it...

> > there are models available online under the GPSToolkit aegis
> > which can do sophisticated offline DGPS and atmospheric
> > modelling. this can bring your position down to within 2m,
> > alledgely. personally, i havent finished writing the SiRF drivers
> > yet, so i couldnt say.
>
> Ah, yes.  I read about the GPS Toolkit in the september 2004 issue
> of Linux Journal, and it sounded like a very nice project.  The
> article mention RINEX as an exchange format.  Anyone know if it is
> a format we should consider?

having read the docs on it - no.

its a strange format which, although suited to its purpose, is not
very nice to write a reader/writer for and (imho) could be better
served using GPX with extensions to PR and ephemeris.

cya,

matt