[Openstreetmap] street level ontology

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Wed Nov 17 00:29:43 GMT 2004

hello,

thinking about stage 2*; once we have vector representations of street
segments, let's annotate them with real world semantics (or 'space
syntax') if you like ;).

i'd initially hoped that the TIGER/Line description of street level
features would serve the purposes of London/UK street level maps. but
there are many missing pieces.

http://uo.space.frot.org/index.cgi?MapOntology is my notes so far,
working through the TIGER feature classification scheme for roads,
figuring out what's relevant / useful for london maps, and what's
missing. feel free to expand on this.

The big gray area for me here, is how we could provide a facility in
the GUI, to allow people to select (via  clicking and highlighting, or
drawing a bounding box) multile segments of the same street or shape,
and annotate them with the same set of properties. (javascript +
mapscript wizardry?)

With Mapserver, it's easy to define graphical presentation of roads on
a 'this column of this row in this table matches this regular
expression' basis. I'm not crazy about the verbosity of that approach,
though. the detailed TIGER docs are linked from that wiki page (which
is where the Faculty of Cartography is slowly moving to...)

-jo