[Openstreetmap] Large data structure formats? (was: How do we handle large amount of GPS points?)

Matt Amos matt at matt-amos.uklinux.net
Thu Nov 18 18:37:10 GMT 2004

On Thursday 18 November 2004 10:38, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Matt Amos]
> >> I guess my question is really, how should we handle such wast
> >> amount of points?  Steve, do you want 7 million points from
> >> Norway in your database?  Ready to handle it?  How do you want
> >> it?
> >
> > yes!
>
> Well, how do you want it?  What format do you want?  The raw data
> is >100 MiB compressed.

hmm... i don't think steve has a database schema finalised yet, but
we'll happily take a compressed table dump. steve can set you up so
that you can scp or ftp it to the web server.

> > as far as i see it, the post/my-sql databases should be able to
> > handle this sort of load and search it pretty quickly - thats
> > what databases are for, right?
>
> Well, my system is slow.  I guess the complete lack of indexes is a
> problem.  Anyone know how to index timedate fields to increase
> speed when doing 'select * from table order by time'?

i think you have to key on time to have the database use it as an
index, but my SQL is a bit rusty. help, anyone?

cya,

matt