[Openstreetmap] How do we handle large amount of GPS points?

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Sun Nov 21 23:40:18 GMT 2004

'ello
On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 10:52:57PM +0000, SteveC wrote:
> time_changed long not null /* last time this point was changed, uid will
> tell you who by */
>
> 'old' or deleted points will drop off in to another table.

last week you mentioned plans, to set up a WebDAV server that would
allow people to share raw GP(S)X tracks as well as point collections.
this sounded like a nice idea; one could index their extents and have
a bouding box query saying 'give me urls for all track segments that
pass through this region'.

Schuyler had a nice out-of-the-blue email from Richard at
geowiki.co.uk today, saying more or less, 'we're still happily hacking
on it, but hand-crafting in illustrator is a PITA, we are thinking
about more heavy GIS and about track-sharing services' of the sort
being talked here... it would be good to get them in the loop as
they've done a lot of good work on lines for major UK road systems and on
cartographic presentation.

our friend Chris Goad, who's done some wonderful stuff with rdfmapper
and mapbureau.com, has been working out simple street-feature level
ontologies recently:
http://fabl.net/lib/geography/road/1.0/revision1.rdf

i'm hoping, that we can converge with this level of representation and
build on it - define a set of UK road subclasses based on this
overarching road definition, and add properties to it; in a small
chunks, loosely strung together sort of a way...

- jo