[Openstreetmap] Map formats?

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Mon Sep 13 14:35:28 BST 2004

* Petter Reinholdtsen (pere at hungry.com) wrote:
> [SteveC]
> > yes, the format stuff is going to be important.
>
> What are the formats used elsewhere in the world?

I've been trying to find a hardcore GIS person to talk to about this.
Come to think of it, I know someone I can ask now.

> What are you using?

nothin yet, just a crappy SQL table

> > Even more critical is versioning. In a wiki you can version on the
> > page name. We can't version on the streetname or location of map
> > data since its all liable to change. I'm guessing having a unique
> > key is going to be the only way out. :-(
>
> Unique IDs is probably a good idea.  But I'm not sure if I understand
> what you mean by versioning.  Are you talking about revision control
> (aka change history), or something else.

yes revision control. Came to the unique ID idea too after talking to
people to see if they had any bright ideas.

have fun,

SteveC steve at fractalus.com http://www.fractalus.com/steve/