[Openstreetmap] Legal viability of using Landsat and SRTM data as basemaps

Jeremy Stocks stocks at inphoris.de
Wed Apr 20 12:39:50 BST 2005

Hello there,

I ama British expatriate living in Germany and have been led to your site via the Guardian article.

I am interested to develop a map for joggers and/or cyclists in Munich.

I have read this article http://www.oryx.com/ams/landsat.html on the web about using GRASS to develop such an image.

I also have found the NASA SRTM site http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/ interesting for its utilkity in developing contour maps.

My vision is to be able to appeal through websites for GPS tracks to put on the site then use these 2 datasets as a backdrop.

My question is: is this legally viable? Is it allowed through copyright?

Jeremy Stocks.

BTW, please get your mailing list onto PHPBB! :)