[Openstreetmap] Re: European Roads?

Frank Mohr f_mohr at yahoo.de
Sat Apr 23 14:20:49 BST 2005

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Jo Walsh]
>
>>What's the advantage over a regular flavoured CC license? i really
>>couldn't say...
>

> Is it a goal for the resulting maps to be allowed into Debian?  I've
> seen some claims that the CC licenses are incompatible with the The
> Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG),
> <URL:http://www.debian.org/social_contract.en.html>.  Perhaps we
> should select a license that is compatible with DFSG?

Too bad. I met some debian maintainers yesterday evening.
I'll discuss this topic next time.

I think "CC-BY-SA" and DFSG are compatible.

DFSG: Free Redistribution
CC: You are free to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work

DFSG: Source Code
CC: (There is no source but data in a documented format)

DFSG: Derived Works
     The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must
     allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the license
     of the original software.
CC:
     - You are free to make derivative works
     - Attribution. You must give the original author credit.
     - Share Alike. If you alter, transform, or build upon this
       work, you may distribute the resulting work only under
       a license identical to this one.

DFSG: Integrity of The Author's Source Code
     restricted source code must allow patch on build time
CC: (Doesn't apply)

DFSG: No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups
CC: no restriction

DFSG: No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
CC: no restriction

DFSG: Distribution of License
CC: no additional restriction

DFSG: License Must Not Contaminate Other Software
CC: no restriction

DFSG: Example Licenses
CC: not listed but in my oppinion GPL and CC-BY-SA
     are rather similar

Frank