[Openstreetmap] Are there any guides for creating common road layouts?

Simon Hewison simon at zymurgy.org
Thu Dec 1 16:38:09 GMT 2005

Immanuel Scholz wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>Do any guides exist for creating common road structures/layouts using
>>either the online or offline editors?
>

> Not of what I am aware of.
>

>>I'm thinking in particular of things like roundabouts, motorway onramps
>>etc. I know that there's no bezier curves or anything, so how do you guys
>>normally do roundabouts? How many points do you add in?
>

> I would use just the one point in the middle and add some key like
> "roundabount=1".

roundabout=clockwise
roundabout=anti-clockwise

which would give a nice enough hint for something to render a small
roundabout.

That works fine for mini roundabouts, but large intersections with
multiple dual carriageways, motorway merging and the like need a far
more complicated structure, though it would be nice to be able to group
all the nodes that form part of a junction and say "This interchange is
collectively known as M25 J20", which would help if the data is being
used to generated spoken driving directions.

--
Simon Hewison