[Openstreetmap] Disclaimers on rights of way?

Tue Dec 6 08:45:46 GMT 2005

On 6 Dec 2005, at 08:27, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

>> Any thoughts on how blatent this should be and the wording?
> I know nothing about law other than that a disclaimer is a good idea,
> so
> I'll pass this one on....

The nearest map I have to hand (Philip's Navigator) says: "The
representation in this atlas of any road, drive or track is no evidence
of the existence of a right of way." IIRC OS maps say something very
similar.

I'd suggest:

"The depiction and/or storage in Openstreetmap of any road, path, track
or other way is no evidence of a right of way, nor of any previous
passage along this way."

because it might also be helpful to disclaim any supposed evidence of
trespass.

Richard