[Openstreetmap] Disclaimers on rights of way?

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Dec 6 11:10:30 GMT 2005

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>I'd suggest:
>
>"The depiction and/or storage in Openstreetmap of any road, path, track
>or other way is no evidence of a right of way, nor of any previous
>passage along this way."

To my layman's view that covers the right-of-way pretty well. Might we also
add further waivers with respect to the data, such as follows?:

"The use of OpenStreetMap (OSM) and OSM data is at the user's own risk. OSM
expressly disclaims all warranties of any kind (whether expressed or
implied), including, but not limited to the implied warranties of fitness
for a particular purpose. The absolute and relative positions and other data
referencing point, linear, and area features depicted in OpenStreetMap and
available from the OpenStreetMap dataset are not guaranteed and OSM makes no
warranty that the data or visual mapping available will meet the user's
requirements. No communication, whether oral or written, obtained by a user
from OSM or from anyone involved with the development of OSM shall create
any warranty."

This aligns with disclaimer notices that are currently being displayed on
EGNOS etc with respect to using GPS data for safety-of-life applications
although OSM should at some point get a legal view on disclaimers for OSM
and the data as a whole.

Andy