[Openstreetmap] Re: Naming segments using applet

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Wed Dec 7 06:44:48 GMT 2005

Hi,

before I start my rant, I have to say, that since OSM is created in the
spirit of wiki-style, it is the user (from now on "you") who define what
is good and should be done and the coder ("we") will change the system
accordingly to interprete your stuff correctly.

But nevertheless, currently we are in heavy development and have already
plans of how requested things could be done in a cool way, so I want to
introduce you in these ideas. Then you can decide whether you want to
wait for this to be implemented, to find a temporary solution which is
fast convertible to our future ideas or to abandon our ideas at all. ;)

> > I wouldn't advise sitting and naming every segment of a street right
> > now - just put the name somewhere in the middle.  Actually I'd just
> > make sure at least one segment per block is named - somebody (must
> > look up who) suggested a nice clean definition of a "block", something
> > like a chain of nodes/lines between junctions...  It would be a
> > trivial to write a "copy segment name to all block segments" function
> > for the applet, once the selection model is improved.
>
> Okay, that makes sense. I'll just label the 'block' then.

Naming line segments as though they are streets was introduced as
solution to name different sections of a street with another name. So if
you name "Highway 66" and pieces of this street are usually named "Baker
Street", you can do this by naming the segments to a different name. The
segment names will override the street's name which the segments belong
to.

I am (as a theorist) not very fond of this idea, but it is
pragmatic. ;-)

> > Comments/suggestions here, or if you're a coder assign yourself the
> > ticket and take a look at the applet:
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/trac/ticket/30
>
> I can code, and might just take a look at the selection model if I've got
> some free time.

For this to be done, first the server must understand the concept of
"streets" at all. If you want to volunteer for that, subscribe to
osm-dev, read the proposals in wiki, grab a development server account,
extend the database, write some ruby access code and recieve a lorry
full of cookies from me ;-)

> > There is no data type for collections of segments in the DB yet as far
> > as I know.  It's coming though, and then yes I would think that one
> > useful thing the more advanced clients would do is to combine segments
> > into streets.
> >
> > Please add comments or suggestions here:
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/trac/ticket/32
>
> Oh, okay. I thought that's what the concept of 'tracks' was in Josm (when
> you add the green partial segments into blue tracks). I must have
> misunderstood. I'll give the ticket a read through.

You fully understood correctly. Streets are a collection of segments and
exactly for the thing you want to do: to define a street which is bigger
than just the connection of two points (well, streets may have only one
segment, so you can define a street for just one segment too, if you
like).

[stolen from an other mail]
> I think you're probably right about that. I was doing some more
> editing tonight, and it was okay at about 20:00-21:00 GMT, but
> thereafter it started to get really bad. After more than 7 attempts
> at joining a couple of nodes, I just gave up. Zooming in/out was also
> taking a really long time, and the yellow track dots weren't loading
> in half the time. Looks like CPU/HD load or bandwith saturation.
>
> I guess I'll have to schedule my editing for off peak times.

That is maybe the main reason why offline editors like osmeditor, JOSM
and osmpeditor exist.

However, JOSM is not yet ready to be used to upload things. In the
latest version, you can download and edit nodes, segments and tracks
with full property integration, but you cannot upload your changes yet.
SOON... SOON! ;-)

osmeditor is said to be ready to use in "live update" mode, but I
haven't tested it recently.

Ciao, Imi.