[Openstreetmap] Re: Naming segments using applet

Peter Knowles peter at peterknowles.com
Tue Dec 6 22:51:41 GMT 2005

Tom Carden [tom at tom-carden.co.uk] wrote:

> I wouldn't advise sitting and naming every segment of a street right
> now - just put the name somewhere in the middle.  Actually I'd just
> make sure at least one segment per block is named - somebody (must
> look up who) suggested a nice clean definition of a "block", something
> like a chain of nodes/lines between junctions...  It would be a
> trivial to write a "copy segment name to all block segments" function
> for the applet, once the selection model is improved.

Okay, that makes sense. I'll just label the 'block' then.

> There have been lots of ideas passed around about how to improve the
> selection model, though as far as I know nobody is working on it right
> this second.
>
> Comments/suggestions here, or if you're a coder assign yourself the
> ticket and take a look at the applet:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/trac/ticket/30

I can code, and might just take a look at the selection model if I've got
some free time. Right now I'm obsessed with laying down some streets in
my area of the OSM. If the darn server would stop fighting me, by deleting
all my hard work whenever I turn my back on it, I might get something done.

> There is no data type for collections of segments in the DB yet as far
> as I know.  It's coming though, and then yes I would think that one
> useful thing the more advanced clients would do is to combine segments
> into streets.
>
> Please add comments or suggestions here:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/trac/ticket/32

Oh, okay. I thought that's what the concept of 'tracks' was in Josm (when
you add the green partial segments into blue tracks). I must have
misunderstood. I'll give the ticket a read through.

> > Grrrr. Also, more importantly, the mouse cursor flickers terribly
> > on my Sun 1.5 JVM in Linux/Firefox. I didn't see a ticket for this in
> > Trac.
>
> Then please feel free to make one :)
>
> > Is it just me?
>
> Almost certainly not.

I'll try and reproduce on my desktop machine (different version of X
with different graphics card). I'll stick in a ticket once I've tested
more.

Regards,
Peter