[Openstreetmap] Segment splitting

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Fri Dec 9 12:13:21 GMT 2005

On 12/9/05, Tommy Persson <tpe at ida.liu.se> wrote:

> > From: Immanuel Scholz <immanuel.scholz at gmx.de>
> >
> > The current idea of the data base representation is, that every object
> > (except a raw-gps-point) can have attributes. Given this, I fail to see
> > the reason why a point of interest should introduce an additional data
> > type.
>
> I was thinkting in terms of point of interest always being unconnected
> nodes and if this is the case you should enforce this in some way.  I
> see the nodes used for creating segments just as a help for editing
> segments for me they seem to be fundamentally different than nodes
> where you have key/values.

Totally agree with this. Though I can see a need for nodes in segments
having some metadata, they shouldn't be re-used for features such as
bus stops.  Nodes in segments should be used first and foremost to
indicate where a path/way/track/river/canal/street/whatever changes
direction.

For features which are *part of* the
path/way/track/river/canal/street/whatever (such as traffic lights,
mini roundabouts, speed bumps etc.), it
might be acceptable to add an additional node to contain that
metadata, but we should look into this more carefully before starting
to do it.

But yes, I think Points of Interest are not the same as nodes in
segments in path/way/track/river/canal/street/whatevers, even if the
database doesn't see it that way, the clients really should.

Tom.