[Openstreetmap] Shapefiles

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 12:41:54 GMT 2005

krsears at starband.net wrote:
> Which database are you using to house the data?  PostGIS contains a script
> for importing shapefiles directly.  I have copious code for shapefile
> manipulation.

It's a custom database (running on MySQL right now I think, but moving
to Postgres, not that it's super important).  The focus of the db is on
wiki-style versioning of all changes made, which AFAIK no other geo
databases provide at this time.  Heck, versioning isn't even in my
spell-checker, but it's an idea whose time has come :)

Copious code could be useful - if it isn't public yet you might like to
consider adding it to the OpenStreetMap subversion repository - I'm sure
Steve will hook you up with an account if you're interested.  If it is
public, let us know where it is and what it does?

Best,

Tom.