[Openstreetmap] Shapefiles

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 13:34:31 GMT 2005

krsears at starband.net wrote:
> Is there documentation on the db schema and formatting of the features
> available?  If so I might be able to cut some code pretty quickly to
> import shapefiles into the db.

I'm not really the best person to ask - best to reply to the whole list
(CC sent).

That said, I think Steve has now made a script that sets up all the
tables - best to browse the source at http://www.openstreetmap.com/trac
to get an idea of what people are up to.  Development server accounts
are available if you want to experiment with database things.  There is
documentation of the development server set up on the wiki that will
give you a feel for how things are glued together.

> also, I'm getting access to some 1 foot and 6 inch resoultion aerial
> photography to donate.  Any resoultion on putting this into the
> repository?  Since the servers are in the UK and this data is USA public
> domain there shouldn't be any problems with licensing (german problem)

There are a few potential data sources we've yet to include.  I suspect
the first step would be getting them into WMS, but then the interface
(viewer and applet) needs some work to allow people to choose what
layers they want to see.

I think a general solution for using addition image sources is in the
works, hopefully Steve will confirm.

Best,

Tom.