Should we use off-line editors (was: Re: [Openstreetmap] New roads appearing without GPS tracks)

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Dec 16 11:25:03 GMT 2005

>Another possibility is that the data were entered using an offline
>editor. This again raises the questions of accountability and
>confidence. If the source data are not on the central server, proving
>data were not copied from copyrighted maps becomes more difficult.

Does this mean we should abandon osm-editor, JOSM, osmpedit, etc? Or just
ensure that every single one of our trackpoints are uploaded to the server
(bandwidth and storage issues, not to mention having to wait for every
track point to be uploaded) It seems sad that we would have to reduce
flexibility in this way, but I suppose if that's the way it is, that's the
way it is :-(

What do people think?

Nick