[Openstreetmap] Re: offline editor node and segment upload

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 13:37:19 GMT 2005

Nick, that sounds good to me.

 Earlier this week I was discussing OSM with technology managers in humanitarian relief organizations. They are interested equipping field workers with the tools to construct their own maps during operations. The major constraint here is connectivity -- most of the time they would be using the offline editor to manger their GPS traces and draw vectors.

 With offline editors, there's the potential for edit conflicts. For the time being, I don't think we need to be too concerned. But as the volume of use on OSM grows, we'll need to devise methods and interfaces for resolving geographic conflicts.

 That may even become an issue with the online editors. If two or more people are editing the same area, they'll need an additional channel to communicate, to avoid stepping on toes and cooperate.