[Openstreetmap] Re: offline editor node and segment upload

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 14:14:05 GMT 2005

On 12/16/05, Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  With offline editors, there's the potential for edit conflicts. For the time being, I don't think we need to be too concerned. But as the volume of use on OSM grows, we'll need to devise methods and interfaces for resolving geographic conflicts.
>
>  That may even become an issue with the online editors. If two or more people are editing the same area, they'll need an additional channel to communicate, to avoid stepping on toes and cooperate.

Maybe we could see if ebay want to sell Skype? ;)

In all seriousness, just saying "user X is editing a region which
overlap with this one, the last change was N seconds ago" and offering
a means to chat with user X would be brilliant.  Perhaps offer it as a
user preference - if users elect not to allow other users to chat to
them, then they get locked out of an area on a first come first served
basis.

Usual caveats about locking apply, but a simple solution in this case
would be to have a time out on a lock of, say, 5 minutes, and to
refresh it every time an edit is made.

Tom.