[Openstreetmap] Simple gps track format?

Frank Mohr f_mohr at yahoo.de
Wed Dec 21 23:16:43 GMT 2005

Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> Hi folks.  I'm toying around with my (limited) Perl skills and want to
> write a script to handle GPS data.  Not really on topic but I figure the
> skillset will be on here, if anywhere.
>
> I just bought a smartphone that can talk to my Bluetooth GPS.  I've
> found a piece of software that will hit an arbitrary web location
> passing in the current location.  I want to take that and log it.
>
> Now I'm not going to write something stateful so I can't write valid
> GPX. I want simple, quick, dirty.  So can anyone recommend a data format
> the gpsbabel can read that will take something as simple as one record
> per line of something like:
> <Lat>	<Long>	<Date>	<Time>
>
> Any suggestions?

gpsman has a rather simple track format, but gpsbabel supports
only the gpsman waypoint format.
(you can use gpsman to convert tracks to gpx)

http://www.ncc.up.pt/gpsman/gpsmanhtml/manual/html/GPSMandoc_30.html

the track format is (all fields separated by tabs)

!Format: DMS 1 WGS 84
!T:	trackname
	date	time	lat	lon	altitude

Example:
   26-Nov-2005  01:32:59   N50 00 41.3   E8 35 39.8  108.285644531

For floating point lat/long use !Format: DDD 1 WGS 84

frank