[Openstreetmap] Re: Funding OSM with donations?

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Fri Dec 30 02:03:06 GMT 2005

On 12/28/05, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:
> [Steve Coast]
> > A variety of models are being looked at in order to cope with the
> > project growing, technically and financially. Please bear with me on
> > that, it could take a while but our current needs are fairly modest.
>
> Sure, we should not rush it.  But we could discuss if we want to fund
> the project using donations or not. :)

My 2 cents (ahem).

Not that I want you to stop sending Steve money if you want to, but I
don't think "the project" should be funded by monetary donations to an
individual.  It puts all kinds of weird expectations on the people
receiving those funds (I would expect that to only be Steve at this
stage) and it's difficult to reimburse everyone fairly.

We're all aware that the project has to cover certain costs, but you
might not be aware that these are currently negligable.  The only
thing that is currently lacking is the server, which is one of the
things Steve and I hoped the proceeds from the poster would go to.
I'll leave Steve to decide how he wants to raise the remaining cash.

I personally have no problem with specific things being paid for
(development of X or Y, purchase of new hardware, hosting for n
months, m gigabytes of bandwidth, etc), but I expect that targetted
one-time funding drives would be more successful than a permanent 'tip
jar'.

Just one of many opinions, but it would be good to hear what others
think on this,

Tom.