[Openstreetmap] Buying Ikonos data

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Feb 7 10:55:57 GMT 2005

Andy Armstrong wrote:

> On 7 Feb 2005, at 09:41, Lester Caine wrote:
>
>> I am currently looking to tidy up holes in the location list I have in
>> my copy of the full UK postcode table, and then that will be added (
>> when I find some free time ;) )
>
> Is that the full incoming and outgoing postcodes? How did you get it?

Yes. The incoming table has been available from several sources for some
time. I have the full postcode table built from various sources and
which I use in a Caller Management System I supply to council and
government offices, which then feed back corrections that they find. The
original systems go back to 1992, so we have a good few years
information gathering. No 'people' involved so no problem with data
protection act ( I hope ;) )

I have yet to check what areas of the location data are still the
incoming location on all outgoing postcodes. Certainly the Islands are,
but I'm not sure else where and that is something I need to check. I
don't see any problem filling in the missing data using one of the
online sources as one is not reproducing any of the maps, only reading
off coordinates which may need interpreting anyway, as the location
often supplied does not match the actual physical provided on the hard
copy which is only available on some sources anyway. Many terms and
conditions cover the fact that the data is only supplied *AS IS*. I
could just as easily be looking at a hard copy road map and correcting
the data, and it does not take long to cover an area once you have
established the base co-ordinates - just typing numbers takes the time ;)

So in the same tradition. I can't warrant the accuracy of the data but I
do not believe that there is any infringements if I was to make it
available, and then others can provide fixes when they are identified,
and add additional local information.

--
Lester Caine