[Openstreetmap] gpx uploading and more

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Fri Feb 18 18:31:23 GMT 2005

[SteveC]
> Hello all,

Hi.  You are missed on #geo. :)

> I hooked up things so you can now create a user account:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/newUser.jsp
>
> And you can upload your gpx files too:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/uploadGPX.jsp

Cool.  I've created an account.  You should link in the license on the
upload page as well, and link to the create user account page from the
upload page.

> (Petter: I'm uploading all of yours apart from
> http://developer.skolelinux.no/~pere/gis/openstreetmap/data/oslo-strip-10.71-10.76-59.93-59.955.gpx.gz
> since I guessed it overlaps with others?)

Yes, it overlaps with others.  You should not import dump.gpx.gz as
well (please remove it), as it will be replaced by other files (I am
working on a better export) when I generate one file per month for
that data.

> I'm gonna work on hooking these things together into a coherent user
> interface for managing tracks (eg cookie support, and stuff). Once
> you've uploaded a track it is immediately visible via the applet,
> but there is no feature to move the map to your track yet - not hard
> to do.

I was just told on IRC that the applet almost worked with a free Java
VM.  One of the Debian Java developers are on my request using the
openstreetmap java applet as a test case, and is fixing the needed
features as we speak. :)

> Oh, and I'm going to write a viewer that uses static images rather
> than the applet.

I would recommend using mapserver or similar, to avoid having to write
this from scratch.  If you store the points using OpenGIS SQL (for
exapmle PostGIS), you can hook up bith mapserver, qgis and grass
directly into the database.