[Openstreetmap] Complimentary project - Freemap

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Sat Feb 19 17:13:32 GMT 2005

hello,
On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 10:43:22AM +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> people might be interested in a complementary project to OpenStreetMap -
> Freemap (www.free-map.org.uk), which aims to map the countryside rather than
> provide a full streetmap.

This looks great! http://www.free-map.org.uk/about.php tells me almost
everything that i was just about to ask you. FreemapEdit sounds like
something i have been looking for. I find the outline of the
GPX-editing approach very involved for casual users though...

i started making a list, of the free mapping projects with members
here, at http://okfn.org/geo/ would you be happy to be on it? (would
anyone else who is not yet?)

random questions... how is your process for GPX->shape conversion...
what are you using as a backend... will you export WFS/shapefiles...
would you want to put your source data somewhere public...

re Mark's questions, we have several "how do i use my GPS / get GPX
tracks out of it" hacks in the book, which is not going to be out for
months :( so i will just steal them and wiki-fy them on openstreetmap
for now...

zx