[Openstreetmap] Which CC Licence for Data-Sets?

Saul Albert saul at twenteenthcentury.com
Wed Feb 23 17:47:22 GMT 2005

> Sure, it might be fun to make a license text, but it isn't fun to be
> on the receiving end when there are hundreds of different licenses to
> handle.

Ok but I was just being silly about it being fun. The main point is to
articulate what we want to happen to our data - and there doesn't seem to be a
licence specific enough to do that.

The main reason to articulate it is to solidify our own ideas about what we're
doing.

I think there's a confusion here between openstreetmap/free map etc. as a
*project* and the idea of open geodata as a framework.

As a project, we adopet a licence, but surely the intention behind making a new
licence is that it can be adopted by other projects.

By writing a licence we're talking about this as a framework - which has
technical and legal and social aspects - just like the picopeering agreement is
a document that articulates the principles of free networks, that many projects
then adopt and adapt according to need - but maintaining the core principles
that make the network free.

So I really think the case for making a licence is strong - because it opens
this out from being a project to being something that other projects,
commercial agencies and governments can sign up to and use to licence their
geodata.

I am also hoping we can come up with something really clear and simple - like
the picopeering agreement, or the BSD-type licence, or the MIT licence or
whatever, that fits into 1 screen, can be read in under a minute, and doesn't
decend into the idiotic legalese.

Saul.

-- http://chinabone.lth.bclub.org.uk/~saul/