[Openstreetmap] Re: Unified data-gathering and editing application

Abhijit Menon-Sen ams at wiw.org
Sun Feb 27 11:05:46 GMT 2005

At 2005-02-27 10:56:35 +0000, nick at hogweed.org wrote:

> - allow overlays of Landsat data, NASA SRTM height data [...]

I apologise for the digression, but I've been playing with the SRTM data
from the GLCF (for the same purpose: plotting GPS tracks on a 3d terrain
rendering), and had spectacularly bad results with it.

The data -- at least the number of tiles for India I've tried -- is full
of null regions and discontinuities, and trying to render a terrain with
nviz or POVray gives me only the most unlikely-looking spiky landscapes.
And the degree of variance precludes smoothing.

Has anyone had better luck with the 90m SRTM DEMs?

-- ams