[Openstreetmap] Unified data-gathering and editing application

Matt Amos matt at matt-amos.uklinux.net
Sun Feb 27 14:14:05 GMT 2005

On Sunday 27 February 2005 11:06, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> On Sunday 27 Feb 2005 11:01, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > [Nick Whitelegg]
> >
> > > Only one thing - I would prefer it to be a desktop C++ app
> > > rather than an applet, for speed and user interface quality
> >
> > Are you skilled with writing multi-platform GUI applications in
> > C++? Such application would need to run on at least Linux, MacOSX
> > and Windows.
>
> I have developed using the cross-platform Qt toolkit (e.g.
> www.hogweed.org/mapmaker) , which is going GPL on all platforms
> this spring (at the moment it's only GPL for Linux and Mac, the
> Windows version costs) so that's what I would use.

interestingly, version 4 of Qt is free on windows (when its released).
this means that Qt is free on every major platform:

http://www.trolltech.com/developer/faqs/duallicense.html#q12

having used Qt, FOX, FLTK and wxWidgets (just playing around) i have
to say that Qt has been the most pleasant to use. also, it has an
enormous number of bindings: Perl, Python, Ruby, etc...

cya,

matt