[Openstreetmap] We'll pay for scans

Ted Morgan tmorgan at quarterscope.com
Tue Jan 4 04:02:11 GMT 2005

Yes, we are very interested in the rest of Europe, but we are trying to
take it one step at a time.  For 2005 we will be scanning the top 100
cities in the United States and will start to expand into Europe.

As for payment, we have 2 programs.  The first one we call Baselining.
In this scenario, we provide a map of a specific section of a target
city and the scanner drives/walks every single street in that section.
When they are done building the "baseline" coverage, they move to the
next section.  Currently, we pay US$15/hour for this program and have a
minimum number of hours per week required.

In the second program we pay per unique access point found by the
scanner.  So the scanner can go wherever they want within the target
city and we currently pay US$0.02 per unique access point.  The first
scanner to find a particular access point gets credit for it.

We prefer the first program for our priority cities and thought your
model of covering all the streets of London and other cities to be very
complementary.

As for data exchange, we accept scan data is a variety of wardriving
formats like netstumbler, kismet and wififofum.  For certain iPAQs we
also provide a specialized scanning app that handles all scanning, data
management, error checking and uploading to our servers.  Makes it very
easy for the scanner.

Make sense?

-Ted