[Openstreetmap] Open Map of Paris

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Fri Jun 17 13:57:18 BST 2005

A Map Larger than the Territory wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've been lurking on this list, having arrived via Jo. I would be interested
> in working with others on a made-by-users street map of Paris. Is anyone on
> the list in Paris?
>
> Saul's message suggested it might be possible for non-programmers to get
> involved. Can you suggest a way of "getting started" ?
>
> To begin with, is GPS the only way to make traces? We here have tried a
> hand-drawn approach where users enter paths, but as you can see
> www.mapterritory.com the paths are very idiosyncratic. It would be difficult
> to depend on individual memories to come up with a street-level version. I'd
> very much like to find a pencil-and-paper approach.

Hi Karen,

It's definitely going to be possible to use other sources of data in
OpenStreetMap real-soon-now.  The intention is that users will be able
to trace maps from old (out-of-copyright) maps, and from satellite and
aerial photography (so long as derivatives are permitted from the source
data).

Exactly how this would work is still an open question - as Saul has
mentioned, I've been working on a rewrite of the current OSM applet, and
I hope to have image tracing working by next week, but my main aim was
to reduce the size of the applet and make the maps look a bit nicer.

If you can get hold of good aerial photographs of Paris, which can be
accurately registered on a map, and are licensed in a way that allows
derivative works to be distributed under an open license, then we should
be able to help.  Until then, it's GPS only I'm afraid.

Hope that helps,

Tom.