[Openstreetmap] Open Map of Paris

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Jun 18 00:10:35 BST 2005

Karen wrote:

> To begin with, is GPS the only way to make traces? We here have
> tried a hand-drawn approach where users enter paths, but as you
> can see www.mapterritory.com the paths are very idiosyncratic.
> It would be difficult to depend on individual memories to come
> up with a street-level version. I'd very much like to find a
> pencil-and-paper approach.

I think GPS track logs (lists of timestamps and positions) have a
lot of potential, because they don't only document where the
streets are, but also which streets are used more than others, at
what time of day they are used (workday commuting or weekend
shopping), and which are used in various speeds by pedestrians,
bicycles, and motor vehicles.  You don't only get a static map,
but also traffic and demographic statistics.

This is an example plotted from Petter's track logs from Oslo,
http://aronsson.se/geodata/oslo.png

There are more ideas for plotting at http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)