[Openstreetmap] Open Map of Paris

Frank Mohr f_mohr at yahoo.de
Sat Jun 18 11:35:27 BST 2005

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Karen O'Rourke wrote:
>
>>What does the GPS unit need to be able to do? I gather there are problems of
>>reception, storage and compatibility. Do you have any concrete suggestions
>>on which models might be better for this kind of project? We need some kind
>>of receiver which can be connected to a PC. There is no need to buy any kind
>>of map data if we're generating our own, or is there?
>

> I bought a Garmin Foretrex 201 which I carry in a welcro band
> around my wrist, just like a (big) watch.  This means I can bring
> it everywhere I go: walking, running, bicycling or by train.  In
> my car, I have taped a welcro strip to the front of my dashboard,
> where I put it when I drive.  I'm very happy with this solution.

I bought a Garmin Geko 301 and carry it in a pouch thats sold for mobile
phones. In the car I just place it behind the front shield,
As a pedestrian I clip it at my backpack/daypack or just at my belt

> This unit stores up to 10,000 track log points, which is more than
> enough. It can be set to a fixed time interval (1, 2, 3, ...
> seconds), fixed distance interval (every 50 meters or so) or
> "automatic", which means the unit only stores your position and
> timestamp when you change speed or direction.  The automatic
> setting is the most economic, and contains all the information you
> should need.  However, the current implementation of the
> OpenStreetMap.org website works best with the fixed time interval.
> I wrote a comment about this on my user page in the wiki,
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/User:LA2

The Geko 301 has the same data, but a different case.
(I think the Foretrex series is just a redesign of the Geko with a
different casing)
The main point for me to chose the 301 was the barometric altimeter.

frank