[Openstreetmap] Wikimania, August 4-8

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Jun 25 15:43:48 BST 2005

Wikimania is a conference on everything Wikipedia/MediaWiki, held
on August 4-8 in Frankfurt-am-Main in southern Germany.  Is
anybody on this list going there (more than me)?

Read more about the conference at http://wikimania.wikimedia.org/

Since Wikipedia was started in 2001, various ideas and subprojects
in the direction of map creation, display, and data collection
have been discussed.  Traces of such discussions can be found
mostly on meta.wikipedia.org under names like "wikimaps" and
"wikiatlas".  The starting points have been a) that Wikipedia
needs maps to illustrate encyclopedia articles, and b) since
Wikipedia has shown that a free encyclopedia can be created, then
maybe free maps can also be created just as easily. As far as I
know, none of these subprojects have been really successful.

Geography and mapping are not among the main tracks of the
conference, but there are one paper and two workshops that relate
to this:

 Paper: Russell Buckley,
 Extending Wikipedia into the Physical World,
 http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikimania05/Paper-RB1

 Workshop: Arnulf Christl,
 Summarizing Activities around Open Geospatial Data projects,
 http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikimania05/Workshop-AC1

 Workshop: Tobias Dahinden,
 Kartengestaltung in Wikipedia - eine Aufforderung für
 bildschirmgerechte Kartengraphik,
 http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikimania05/Workshop-TD1

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)