[Openstreetmap] Re: ecourier.co.uk GPS data mine

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Jun 29 08:25:45 BST 2005

[Saul Albert]
> Tom, would you be up for being on a CC list of maybe 3 of us who I
> can say are 'from OSM', who can gently gently tease this data out of
> ecourier?

You didn't say, but I suspect this company is in London.  I'm not, so
I suspect it is best to leave the liaison job to someone else.  But
the task you describe need three steps:

 1 Extract GPS data from the mysql database and store it as GPX files
 2 Compress the GPX files
 3 Upload the GPX files to OSM, using a predefined username/password.

For the first step, I got a perl script doing that job.  An early
version of it was posted to this list,
<URL:http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/pipermail/openstreetmap/2004-October/000029.html>.
The second step is a simple gzip -9, and the third step need a new
script.

Last, we need a wrapper script calling these commands in sequence, and
a cron system to start it at a regular interval.

Are we sure the OSM database is able to handle that amount of data?
It seem to have bigger and bigger problems keeping up.