[Openstreetmap] Re: ecourier.co.uk GPS data mine

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Wed Jun 29 14:49:52 BST 2005

"Petter Reinholdtsen" <pere at hungry.com> wrote:

> [Richard]
>> What we're going to do is simply strip out the timestamps.
>
> Is that valid with GPX?  I believe gpx2shp is sick when no timestamp
> is present.

It would also render many of our ideas for automatic feature extraction
pretty much impossible.

I remember hearing about a driving enthusiast who was convicted of speeding
using his own video tape as evidence - is GPS data admissible in the same
way?  Hopefully it's accurate enough to convict someone if it's accurate
enough for mapping!

Perhaps it would be easier to keep the owner of the GPS trail anonymous?  If
we don't know, then we can't tell.

Tom.